WGA Picket Guidelines
The WGA is on strike. Picketing is an important tactic to compel the studios to reach a deal that meets writers’ needs.
We will be here for as long as it takes. Solidarity and member turnout are essential, and we want to keep everyone safe and healthy on the lines so folks keep coming out. With that in mind, please follow the instructions below:
ON YOUR WAY TO THE PICKET LINE
- Remember to sign-in during your picket shift. Present your WGA card or a photo ID at the sign-in table and staff will sign you in. If you are not a member you can sign in on the guest sign-in sheet.
- Bring reusable water bottles and sunscreen. We are working on providing water dispensers to refill reusable water bottles. Guild staff will bring sunscreen for emergencies but likely will not have enough for every person on the picket line every day.
- Wear comfortable shoes and a hat.
ON THE PICKET LINE
- Keep moving, walking with your signs up and down the sidewalks.
- Obey all traffic rules. Do not block crosswalks and do not block traffic.
- Allow individuals or vehicles to safely enter and/or exit the gates free of harassment.
- Guild staff, Lot Coordinators and designated Captains are responsible for all third-party communication with members of the public, police, or news media. If someone approaches you, please redirect them accordingly.
- Follow instructions from Guild staff, Picket Coordinators, Assistant Coordinators, and Gate Captains. Their job is to keep the picket line effective, legal, and safe.
- Use these chants on the picket line to demonstrate your union solidarity.
AFTER YOUR DAILY SHIFT ON THE PICKET LINE
- Clean up trash and recyclables.
- Return picket signs to the check-in table.
- At the end of the day, please help Guild staff and Picket Coordinators clean up trash, take down the tables and tents, bundle signs with cable ties, and pack the vans to be returned to the Guild.
- If you are a member and interested in holding a special themed picket at a studio picket line, please read the Special Pickets page and follow the instructions outlined there.